May 16, 2007

"The Thaw"

February/March 2006
for: britishney

1. The Motion of Love - Gene Loves Jezebel
2. Apple Blossom - The White Stripes.
3. Repeat To Fade - The Shortwave Set
4. I'm Getting Better All The Time - Barbara Pittman
5. Losing Streak - Eels
6. A Hiccup In Your Happiness - The Lucksmiths
7. Elevator Love Letter - Stars
8. Lived In Bars - Cat Power
9. In the Dark - Nina Simone
10. The Beast in Me - Johnny Cash
11. Lonely Weekends - Charlie Rich
12. Ghosts Are Good Company - Bishop Allen
13. Gravity Rides Everything - Modest Mouse
14. Roses & Hips - Keren Ann
15. (Night Time Is) The Right Time - Ray Charles
16. Anytime - My Morning Jacket
17. Wellington's Wednesdays - The Weakerthans
18. Gimme Some Salt - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
19. Darkness On The Edge Of Town - Bruce Springsteen
20. Buffalo Boots - Luna
21. Wayward Song - The Earlies
22. Just Say So - Bettye LaVette

Comments on the mix: I found britishney a little difficult just because we have such similar tastes in music it was hard to come up with stuff that was new to her. The idea of a "thawing" theme is a solid one, but I hardly followed through here. Inevitably, my need to include certain songs just for my mixee outweighs thematic constraints. britishney took a little while to post my tracklisting, but gave a really thoughtful response when she did, so I look at this one as a success.

Comments on the cover: Man, I wish all my covers were this charmed. A few quick ideas, all of which seemed to work beautifully. The "Neon" typeface functioning like a radiator is my favorite touch.

No comments: