May 31, 2007

"Storied"

September 2006
for: *

1. Hows About Tellin A Story - Devendra Banhart
2. From The Ritz To The Rubble - Arctic Monkeys
3. Babies - Pulp
4. Joshua - Dolly Parton
5. Shine a Light - Wolf Parade
6. Johnny Cash - Sons & Daughters
7. Maybe Sparrow - Neko Case
8. Over and Over Again (Lost and Found) - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
9. An Earlier Autumn - The Field Mice
10. The Hardest Button to Button - The White Stripes
11. I Hung My Head - Johnny Cash
12. Revolver - Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan
13. Watercolours into the Ocean - Destroyer
14. Lua - Bright Eyes
15. I'm From Further North Than You - The Wedding Present
16. The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits
17. Papa Was A Rodeo - The Magnetic Fields
18. Letter of Resignation - The Weakerthans
19. Parting Gift - Fiona Apple
20. For You (live) - Bruce Springsteen

Comments on the mix: *My mixee never acknowledged this one, and the tracklisting has never appeared on the boards. This is my bastard stepchild mix. I had been assigned a newbie, and I came up with a vague, catch-all "theme." I decided to start with that Devendra Banhart track and then feature songs that have ... some narrative. Maybe. I was properly shamed when my own September mix arrived from Jedzz and, in a case of weird Mix Club synergy, he had made me a mix where every song actually contained a self-contained story. Shame! I was really burning to get that Springsteen track on my mix this month, and it's possible that it was the over eight minutes of Bruce that sent my mixee running for the hills.

No comments: