April 17, 2007

"Greater New York"

Here's my very first mix for the Mix Club!
February 2005
for: Diddydeezie

1. Interpol - Evil
2. Beastie Boys - Sabotage
3. Blondie - Heart of Glass
3. Bishop Allen - Ghosts are Good Company
4. Enon - Natural Disasters
5. Stellastarr - My Coco
6. They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in your Soul
7. The Fiery Furnaces - Straight Street
8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Date with the Night
9. Yo La Tengo - Damage
10. Bruce Springsteen - 10th Avenue Freeze-Out
11. The Strokes - Is This It
12. Talking Heads - And She Was
13. PJ Harvey - You Said Something
14. Elliot Smith - Needle in the Hay
15. Moby - Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?
16. Madonna - Into the Groove
17. The Velvet Underground - All Tomorrow’s Parties
18. The Ramones - Judy is a Punk
19. Rufus Wainwright - Vicious World
20. Billie Holiday - Don’t Explain
21. Luna - Buffalo Boots

Notes on the mix: My first round with the Club was the very last round on the old Fametracker boards. I was assigned another newbie, Diddydeezie, who turned out to be from Norway. Without much to go on, I decided to play on our geographical difference and put together a mix of artists with a New York association. It's funny looking at this list now, because if I remade the mix today I would probably use very different artists. I could probably put something together now with only acts from Brooklyn. That's how much my music collection has taken off in the last couple years! The best thing about this mix is how I sent it off with a note apologizing for the lack of rap on it, and it prompted Diddydeezie to send me a three-disk set titled "Greater New York Rap." From Norway!!! Honestly, that remains the coolest thing that has ever happened to me on the Club.

Notes on the cover: I've got deep love for this cover. It's the rare case when I started off with a really great piece of art: a (scan of a) painting by Nicholas Evans-Cato, a Brooklyn artist. It says "New York" without being obvious or tacky about it. The yellow text is meant to evoke taxis.

No comments: